4.12.2010

IF: link(ed)

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this week's Illustration Friday topic ("linked") was Link from The Legend of Zelda, because... nerd. I had Wind Waker in mind when I drew it, because while it's not my favorite of the games (Ocarina of Time takes that prize), the style was adorable and really appealed to me.


This line-less style is new to me - I've always been very pro-outline. I like the way they look and it pleases me to have everything contained. The downside is that the way I usually work takes FOREVER and can be a bit lacking in energy. For the last week or so, when I'm just doodling stuff for myself or to warm up, I've been working like this instead. It's fun. Faster. A lot less detailed, but I still kind of like it.

9 comments:

  1. I like it! I did the same thing as far as changing up my style a bit for speed and it's working well for me. Like you, I always thought in terms of line with drawing. Keep it up, it's really cute and successful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think both ways of drawing are well done. With lines or without lines you can get along with both.
    Your works have a certain flair hanging around them, they seem so swiftly made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this style a lot. Awesome work.

    And I love Link from Zelda games (named my cat after him). Ocarina of Time is one of my all time favorite games - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he ! Cute link. He has only 3 hearts left ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Joy - It's always a struggle to change how I work, I feel like doing things more simply is sort of like admitting defeat. But I'm enjoying this, I'll definitely be doing more - it'd be nice to have a less complicated style in my bag of tricks.

    Kelly - Aww, a kitty named Link! I think Mario and Zelda would be tied as my favorite game franchise, both are awesome.

    Christophe - It's okay, he'll break a pot soon and a few more will float out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:40 PM

    awesomeness! I love it! from one gamer to another bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe super cute!! I too originally had Link (from Zelda) in mind... a bit addicted to the game, I admit... but decided to go on another direction. Your illo looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Love that. Link rules

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails