3.14.2013

illustration friday: yesterday


This is the second illustration I started for this week's IF topic, "yesterday." The first one was kind of personal (UNDERSTATEMENT) and super depressing and while I would like to finish it one day, I knew I couldn't now, and even if I did manage to, I was never going to post it. I got as far as a color comp before I abandoned it and decided to go with something a little less actively miserable.

The first thing that came to mind after that was the phrase "yesterday's news," which got me thinking about what if there was a little girl named Yesterday who put out her own newspaper and called it "Yesterday's News?" And she has a cat named Headline or Byline who "helps her," and by that I mean mostly rolls around in her notes but also sometimes discovers things or gets her out of jams too. And maybe they solve "mysteries" and uncover "secrets" around the neighborhood or whatever. Kind of like Harriet the Spy meets Nancy Drew, except with a super horrible name.

PSA: Do not name your child Yesterday. Do not name your child Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday (even if she's a vampire), Today, or Tomorrow, either. These are not names. Also a better, if less thematically appropriate, name for this cat would be Waffles. End PSA.

ANYWAY. There you go. I should just really stick to drawing.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:42 AM

    Lovely work!!! Great concept!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely illo and concept!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Livi and I would watch that show/read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! We will be linking to this great article on our website. Keep up the good writing.
    خرید بلیط اتوبوس
    https://telegra.ph/buy-bus-tickets-online-03-09

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails